This is a delicious, meatless meal that can be made pretty quickly and is filling! James and I were having my family over for lunch one Saturday and we were able to get this meal ready in about 45 minutes. :)
First, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and then I grabbed my ingredients.
- 1 box of jumbo shells pasta
- 1 32 oz. container of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2-3 cups pasta sauce
- Cook your pasta according to package directions and while the pasta is boiling, mix up the shell filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the spices.
- When the pasta is done, I like to drain and rinse it with cool water so I can handle the shells without burning my hands/fingers.
- Pour 1/2 cup of pasta sauce into the bottom of the pan (so shells don't stick). Fill shells with filling and put into the pan.
- Pour rest of pasta sauce over the top of the shells and top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Spreading sauce and adding filled shells:
This is how it looked when it came out of the oven
We served the shells with my favorite salad and our homemade bread.
If you like more spices, add more spices or if you'd like a different type of cheese, go for it! It's a very flexible recipe. :)